Editor’s notice: That is a part of a collection on closing the sustainability expertise hole with the sources we’ve accessible proper now. Learn the earlier articles on this collection, which cowl coaching on local weather literacy, scaling company local weather literacy, sustainability technique, local weather and net-zero technique and measuring and managing GHG emissions.
Regenerative agriculture, holistic administration and different nature-based options have change into crucial elements of sustainability technique for organizations with agricultural inputs. Walmart and PepsiCo lately introduced their collaboration supporting the adoption of regenerative agricultural practices throughout 2 million acres of farmland in North America. International agricultural provide chain chief ADM expects to cowl 2 million acres within the re:generations™ regenerative agriculture program by the tip of 2023 and is on monitor to satisfy its objective of masking 4 million acres throughout the globe by 2025.
These investments, and lots of others like them, are serving to producers to earn further earnings whereas lowering greenhouse gasoline emissions, enhancing water high quality and soil well being and enhancing biodiversity by means of practices like the usage of cowl crops, built-in livestock and decreased tillage.
Beneath are 14 coaching choices that may enable you to to be taught extra about sustainable farming practices. The primary part focuses on the farm stage and is ideal for professionals who work on-farm or interact with suppliers who do. The trainings within the second part zoom out to cowl agricultural provide chain administration. The third part highlights trainings that supply an in-person part, which provides you the prospect to roll up your sleeves and develop a private reference to the land and these practices.
If you happen to’re excited to find out about making world meals techniques extra sustainable, simply, nourishing and resilient, be sure you attend the Meals Program at GreenBiz’s VERGE 23 occasion Oct. 24-26 in San Jose, California. It’s a three-day expertise that can will let you uncover probably the most impactful methods, applied sciences and merchandise enabling meals techniques transformation and join with the leaders bringing them to life.
Particular due to Anne Garsztka, a graduate scholar in company sustainability and sustainable meals techniques on the Harvard Extension College, who helped analysis this text.
As is usually the case with a majority of these lists, I’m certain I’ve missed some. In case your favourite providing isn’t listed right here, I warmly invite you to hitch the dialog on LinkedIn to inform me and your fellow readers about it. Thanks upfront to your assist with bringing these sources out into the open in order that extra folks can get to work on advancing sustainable enterprise practices.
Regenerative agriculture and holistic administration
The first focus of those programs is what could be performed on the farm stage and covers matters comparable to regenerative agriculture, soil well being, soil carbon, holistic administration, grassland restoration and different sustainable farming practices. If you happen to work on-farm or interact with suppliers who do, these programs are an amazing place to begin.
The Regenerative Agriculture Revolution from EIT Meals on FutureLearn
This course will clarify the important thing rules of regenerative agriculture, the advantages of various farming strategies and the way the regenerative mannequin can assist to scale back the environmental affect of farming practices. Learners can be guided by means of the event of a regenerative motion plan for a hypothetical farm. That is half of a big assortment of programs on meals system innovation from EIT Meals.
- Price: $99, or included with paid subscription to FutureLearn
- Subsequent begin date: Accessible on-demand
- Time to finish: 2 weeks, 3 hours per week
- Coaching format: Movies, articles and growth of an motion plan
- Key matters coated: Why shift to regenerative agriculture; the connection between soil, plant and local weather; animals as key-player within the agroecosystem; the usage of pure sources on farms; how provide chains are transitioning to regenerative agriculture and supporting coverage
Soil Advocate Coaching from Kiss the Floor
This course empowers learners with the information and confidence to successfully advocate for soil well being and regenerative agricultural practices when chatting with various stakeholder teams together with companies, policymakers, and farmers. This course is a part of a set of coaching on regenerative agriculture from Kiss the Floor, which incorporates customizable team-based coaching for companies.
- Price: $180
- Subsequent begin date: Accessible on-demand
- Time to finish: Unspecified
- Coaching format: E-learning, studying
- Key matters coated: How rebuilding soil is the answer; understanding regeneration; regenerative vs. degenerative; soil well being, human well being; replenishing contemporary water sources; making the case
Soil Well being and Regenerative Farming from Terra.do
This course introduces the 5 rules of soil well being with illustrative, modern examples of how farmers apply these rules and are incentivized and rewarded for his or her efforts. There’s additionally a dialogue of how soil carbon shares can be utilized to have interaction in carbon markets and carbon offsets. Learners will stroll away with a deep understanding of soil well being precept purposes and the complexities of scaling regenerative agriculture practices.
- Price: $199
- Subsequent begin date: Nov. 6, 2023
- Time to finish: 2 weeks, 4 hours per week
- Coaching format: Stay on-line courses
- Key matters coated: Ideas of soil well being; how soil well being interprets to regenerative agriculture; understanding and measuring soil carbon; supporting the transition to soil well being and regenerative agriculture throughout the meals provide chain
Foundations of Holistic Administration from the Savory Institute
Holistic Administration practices restore grasslands used for livestock grazing. Wholesome grasslands result in carbon sequestration, drought resilience, meals safety and financially viable communities. This course supplies firms, governments and people with the insights and administration instruments wanted to work with the online of complexity that exists in nature; leading to higher, extra knowledgeable choices that steadiness social, environmental and monetary issues.
- Price: $399 for the five-course bundle, $99/every for particular person programs
- Subsequent begin date: Accessible on-demand
- Time to finish: 25 hours
- Coaching format: Movies, area manuals and coach help
- Key matters coated: Managing ecosystem processes; holistic land planning, deliberate grazing, monetary planning and ecological monitoring; water, mineral and power cycles; neighborhood dynamics; instruments for managing ecosystem processes; decision-making frameworks; creating efficient administration suggestions loops
Meals and Local weather Shaper Boot Camp from the Future Meals Institute
This expertise consists of 4 regeneration tracks together with regenerative farms, regenerative cities, regenerative oceans and gastrodiplomacy. The digital boot camp is on the market on-line, however there are additionally boot camps at inspiring places comparable to Pollica, Italy, and Tokyo.
- Price: $2,000
- Subsequent begin date: Coming quickly; apply now to be thought of for the following cohort
- Time to finish: Roughly 80 hours throughout 4 weeks
- Coaching format: Digital self-paced e-learning, stay conversations with consultants, mentoring periods, group work, design challenges and a hackathon
- Key matters coated: Regenerative agriculture and restoration practices; farming improvements and expertise; farming practices for biodiversity; the intersection of farms, local weather change and meals insecurity; mitigation and adaptation; agroforestry; Indigenous and conventional practices
Sustainable provide chain administration
These trainings focus extra broadly on sustainability in agricultural provide chains. Subjects coated in these programs embody provide chain mapping, evaluation and efficiency measurement, procurement insurance policies and influencing change inside your worth chain. A number of of those applications run throughout the rising season and have concluded for 2023; be sure you examine their web sites typically for brand spanking new program date bulletins.
Sustainable Agri-food Provide Chain Administration from Doane College on edX
This course was developed to show sustainable agri-food provide chain managers concerning the financial, social and environmental sustainability issues for agri-food provide chains, in addition to how you can measure, benchmark and report on the environmental sustainability efficiency of provide chains. This course could be taken individually or as a part of a MicroMasters in Sustainable Agribusiness from Doane College.
- Price: Free
- Subsequent begin date: Accessible on-demand
- Time to finish: 8 weeks, about 10 to fifteen hours per week
- Coaching format: E-learning
- Key matters coated: Sustainable agri-food provide chain administration rules; measuring the environmental sustainability efficiency of provide chains; the significance of ethics and transparency in provide chain administration
Regenerative Agriculture and Provide Chains: How you can Get Began from FAI.ACADEMY
This course is designed to assist meals provide chain professionals higher perceive the challenges and alternatives of transferring towards provide networks that actively regenerate our planet and the way they’ll successfully affect and drive this transformation. This course is obtainable in three codecs: a free trial course, a self-paced on-line course and a tailor-made non-public course for company groups with stay webinar help. That is one in every of many choices from FAI.ACADEMY, a multidisciplinary coaching hub for folks working for a greater meals system.
- Price and entry:
- Subsequent begin date: The trial and self-paced programs can be found on-demand; the non-public course is on the market upon request
- Time to finish: The trial course is 1 hour, the self-paced course is 10 hours, and the non-public course consists of further stay interplay
- Coaching format: E-learning, stay on-line periods, elective go to to a regenerative beef farm
- Key matters coated: Regenerative agriculture definition; how regenerative agriculture works with nature’s ecosystems; case research in regenerative practices; how you can transition provide chains and design regenerative practices into your provide chain
Constructing Moral + Environmentally Accountable Meals Provide Chains from the Meals Enterprise College on the Culinary Institute of America
This course will educate learners how you can map out and analyze meals provide chains, develop procurement insurance policies and ingredient specs that help sustainable meals techniques and leverage state-of-the-art procurement techniques for sustainability efficiency. Learners can even develop personalised provide chain roadmaps to information future decision-making. That is one in every of a number of programs accessible from the Meals Enterprise College on the intersection of meals, sustainability and enterprise.
- Price: $149
- Most up-to-date begin date: Oct. 9, 2023 (Registration remains to be open.)
- Time to finish: 5 weeks
- Coaching format: E-learning
- Key matters coated: Moral questions in provide chains; design and administration of sustainable, strategic provide chains; how reshaping current provide chains can obtain new targets and outputs; strategies of accountable sourcing; procurement pathways for driving change
The Worldwide Government Programme on Sustainable Sourcing & Commerce from the Worldwide Commerce Centre, in partnership with SAI Platform and the Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Management
This course provides leaders in sustainability, procurement, technique and model advertising a set of instruments for figuring out sustainability dangers and alternatives inside world worth chains and integrating sustainability with company agendas. Digital and in-person networking alternatives are an integral a part of the expertise.
- Price: $700, extra for taking part within the in-person expertise in Portugal
- Subsequent begin date: Coming quickly; go to the web site to register curiosity
- Time to finish: 6 weeks, about 2 to 4 hours per week
- Coaching format: Stay on-line courses and peer conferences, elective in-person expertise
- Key matters coated: Megatrends impacting world provide chains; carbon impartial and climate-resilient agri-food techniques; instruments to enhance sustainable administration of agriculture provide chains; sustainability management; regenerative agriculture from principle to apply
Mini-MBA in Sustainable Meals Provide Chains from the Institute of Meals and Agribusiness Management
This program teaches college students how you can develop enterprise fashions and provide chains which are good for enterprise and good for the planet. There are not any admissions necessities; members simply want to finish prerequisite programs in meals and agricultural enterprise fashions in an effort to entry the mini-MBA coaching content material.
- Price: $799
- Subsequent begin date: Accessible on-demand after finishing stipulations
- Time to finish: 6 months, about 3 to 4 hours per week
- Coaching format: E-learning, stay on-line periods
- Key matters coated: Disruptive meals worth chains; AgriFood Tech’s worth to the meals worth chain; meals sustainability and sustainable growth; meals distribution and retail growth; sustainable sourcing and logistics; sustainable finance in agriculture
Meals Programs and International Provide Chains from the Harvard Extension College
This course investigates how meals passes from manufacturing to distribution and consumption and what the sustainability ramifications are, particularly on air, water, soil, power, mining and human well being. This can be a research-based course the place members select associated meals situations and quantify their affect on greenhouse gases and local weather change; power use; air, water and soil degradation; and strong waste disposal. This course could be taken individually or as a part of a Sustainable Meals Programs Graduate Certificates or Sustainability Grasp’s Diploma.
- Price: $1,500
- Subsequent begin date: Jan. 22, 2024
- Time to finish: 15 weeks, about 2 hours per week
- Coaching format: Stay on-line courses with the choice to attend asynchronously; assignments
- Key matters coated: Agricultural economics; agricultural kinds and practices; soil sources and issues; meals manufacturing’s affect on air, soil and water; supply-chain administration; quantifying the economics and sustainability of frequent meals objects
Sustainable Meals Manufacturing and Processing from the College of Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Management on GetSmarter
This course is designed to learn people working at each stage of world or native meals techniques — from the provider to the patron. Learners will acquire an understanding of the trendy meals system and uncover new enterprise fashions, applied sciences and processes for embedding sustainability into meals provide chains. Learners can even construct sensible methods for main this transformation in their very own organizations.
- Price: $2,767
- Subsequent begin date: March 13, 2024
- Time to finish: 8 weeks, about 7 to 10 hours per week
- Coaching format: E-learning, assignments
- Key matters coated: Fashionable meals safety challenges; new enterprise fashions and approaches for sustainable meals; embedding sustainability into meals provide chains; improvements in sustainable meals manufacturing and processing; main transformational change in your context
Get your palms soiled
Who doesn’t love a superb farm keep? These choices provide the likelihood to roll up your sleeves and develop a private reference to the sustainable and regenerative practices you’ll be studying about. These real-world experiences give you a perspective that’s tough to acquire from on-line content material.
Rodale Institute’s Farmer Coaching College
Rodale Institute is broadly thought of the worldwide chief in natural agriculture, rising the regenerative natural motion by means of analysis, coaching and shopper training. The Farmer Coaching curriculum is one in every of many instructional experiences accessible by means of Rodale Institute and is designed to allow people with little-to-no farming expertise to change into absolutely succesful farmers or farm managers.
- Price: College students obtain a weekly stipend
- Subsequent begin date: March 4, 2024
- Time to finish: 9 months
- Coaching format: Farm keep, in-person courses
- Key matters coated: Regenerative natural farming science; agricultural budgeting; advertising; agricultural product finance
Local weather Farm College from Terra.do
This can be a hybrid four-week program combining on-line periods with getting your palms soiled on a working farm. Tech, enterprise and sustainability professionals, entrepreneurs, farmers and others enthusiastic about meals and local weather are invited to be taught concerning the local weather affect of meals techniques and the options inside them.
- Price: $2,200 to $3,600, relying on which farm you go to
- Subsequent begin date: March 25, 2024
- Time to finish: 4 weeks
- Coaching format: 7-day farm keep, stay on-line courses, on-demand movies, studying
- Key matters coated: Regenerative agriculture rules; crop administration; forestry and hearth mitigation work; soil well being; constructing soil carbon; farm enterprise fashions; water administration; meals justice; meals
In-person add-on experiences
A number of of the applications listed above can be found as on-line coaching but in addition supply elective in-person experiences:
- The Meals & Local weather Shaper Boot Camps from the Future Meals Institute supply experiences in Pollica, Italy, and Tokyo
- The Worldwide Government Programme on Sustainable Sourcing & Commerce from the Worldwide Commerce Centre provides a regenerative agriculture-focused expertise in Portugal
- Regenerative Agriculture and Provide Chains: How you can Get Began from FAI.ACADEMY provides a go to to a regenerative beef farm within the U.Ok.
Be a part of the dialog
I hope this text has helped you discover at the very least one nice new useful resource that will help you incorporate regenerative practices into your work. Remember to preserve a watch out for future articles on this collection and bear in mind, if I’ve missed one in every of your favorites or if you wish to inform me a couple of useful resource that might be related to a future article, please be a part of the dialog on LinkedIn. Till subsequent time!