Biden-Harris Administration Pronounces $3.5 Billion for Largest Ever Funding in America’s Electrical Grid, Deploying Extra Clear Vitality, Reducing Prices, and Creating Union Jobs
LOCUST GROVE, GEORGIA — As a part of President Biden’s Investing in America agenda, a key pillar of Bidenomics, White Home Infrastructure Implementation Coordinator Mitch Landrieu and Secretary of Vitality Jennifer M. Granholm as we speak introduced $3.46 billion for 58 initiatives throughout 44 states to strengthen electrical grid resilience and reliability throughout America. Funded by the President’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Regulation, these initiatives will leverage greater than $8 billion in federal and personal investments to ship reasonably priced, clear electrical energy to all People and be sure that communities throughout the nation have a dependable grid that’s ready for excessive climate worsened by the local weather disaster. These transformative initiatives, which is able to all assist the President’s Justice40 Initiative to profit deprived communities, will assist deliver greater than 35 gigawatts of latest renewable vitality on-line, put money into 400 microgrids, and keep and create good-paying union jobs with three out of 4 initiatives partnering with the Worldwide Brotherhood of Electrical Employees (IBEW)—serving to ship on the Biden-Harris Administration’s bold local weather agenda.
“Excessive climate occasions fueled by local weather change will proceed to pressure the nation’s growing older transmission methods, however President Biden’s Investing in America agenda will guarantee America’s energy grid can present dependable, reasonably priced energy,” stated U.S Secretary of Vitality Jennifer M. Granholm. “Immediately’s announcement represents the largest-ever direct funding in important grid infrastructure, supporting initiatives that may harden methods, enhance vitality reliability and affordability—all whereas producing union jobs for extremely expert employees.”
The Grid Resilience and Innovation Partnerships (GRIP) Program, managed by DOE’s Grid Deployment Workplace (GDO), funds actions to modernize the electrical grid to cut back impacts of pure disasters and excessive climate worsened by local weather change; improve the pliability, effectivity, and reliability of the electrical energy system with a specific concentrate on unlocking extra photo voltaic, wind, and different clear vitality and decreasing faults that will result in wildfires; and enhance reliability by deploying modern approaches to electrical energy transmission, storage, and distribution. Immediately’s bulletins of as much as $3.46 billion characterize a primary spherical of choices below the broader $10.5 billion GRIP Program, which itself is one in every of a number of instruments from President Biden’s Investing in America agenda that DOE is utilizing to strengthen, diversify, and increase America’s energy grid whereas creating good-paying union jobs and constructing neighborhood local weather resilience. All of as we speak’s chosen initiatives have Justice40 commitments, and 86 % both comprise labor union partnerships or will contain collective bargaining agreements.
The initiatives chosen are serving to keep and create good-paying union jobs, with greater than three-quarters of the initiatives chosen having partnerships with the IBEW.
The choices introduced as we speak for award negotiations below the GRIP Program embrace initiatives within the following states:
- Georgia — The Georgia Environmental Finance Authority and the Household of Firms that helps the Georgia electrical cooperatives will collaborate on a transformative venture to profit communities throughout the state by way of elevated reliability and decrease prices with an estimated funding of greater than $507 million. The venture will make a complete sensible grid infrastructure replace, by way of investments in battery storage, native microgrids, and grid reliability, in addition to new transmission strains. With a concentrate on distant, hard-to-reach, and traditionally underinvested communities, the venture will enhance service reliability, lower the frequency and length of energy outages, cut back vitality invoice pressure on low-income households, and create greater than 140 development jobs.
- Louisiana — Two initiatives will concentrate on higher positioning deprived communities to resist excessive climate. The state of Louisiana will launch a strategic initiative with 15 authorities entities, vitality firms, and neighborhood and educational establishments to boost statewide emergency response operations by deploying a community of Neighborhood Resilience Hubs powered by distributed vitality assets microgrids. These microgrids can stand alone or combine with utility-owned electrical grid infrastructure and back-up technology belongings. Below a separate venture, Entergy New Orleans will improve the native grid’s resilience to extreme climate, together with hardening present transmission strains and distribution methods to cut back outage frequency and length. It’s going to additionally deploy a battery backup venture that may cut back vitality payments for deprived communities.
- Michigan — In Detroit and its surrounding service territory, DTE Vitality. will deploy adaptive networked microgrids, which have the aptitude to adapt to altering vitality calls for and provide situations in real-time, particularly after excessive climate occasions. The microgrids will depend on new grid sensing and fault location units and communication instruments that may improve reliability and cut back the quantity and whole length of outages within the microgrid areas. Customers Vitality (CE) will construct out much-needed infrastructure investments in a few of Michigan’s most traditionally underinvested communities. The venture will work to improve the spine of CE’s circuit methods and improve capability at native substations to raised assist redundancy and reliability in deprived communities.
- Pennsylvania — In southeastern Pennsylvania, PECO Vitality Firm will improve grid reliability and resilience by way of substation flood mitigation, upgrading underground monitoring and management applied sciences, deploying battery methods for backup energy, changing growing older infrastructure, and putting in superior conductors to extend grid capability. In jap Pennsylvania, PPL Electrical Utilities Company will combine distributed vitality assets and allow real-time grid management to cut back outage length and frequency, create greater than 200 new jobs, and enhance electrical service reliability for greater than 800,000 folks. In Pittsburgh, Duquesne Mild Firm will improve system capability to unlock clear vitality technology and meet targets established within the State’s Local weather Motion Plan whereas additionally mitigating buyer price will increase, rising high-quality job alternatives and coaching, and boosting equitable entry to scrub vitality.
- Oregon — A number of initiatives throughout Oregon will join huge quantities of fresh vitality to clients and create good-paying union jobs. The Confederated Tribes of Heat Springs Reservation of Oregon and Portland Normal Electrical (PGE) will improve transmission capability and join PGE clients with the at present remoted renewable assets east of the Cascade Mountains, together with these on the Heat Springs Reservation—constructing a bridge to as much as 1,800 MW of carbon-free photo voltaic assets. PGE may also deploy a man-made intelligence-enabled, grid-edge computing platform to enhance the connection of distributed vitality assets, corresponding to photo voltaic, in addition to knowledgeable modeling that may predict pre-outage situations and help real-time choices. PacifiCorp will replace infrastructure for fireplace resistance and prevention in Oregon and neighboring states, decreasing outages and dangers, whereas additionally enhancing flood resilience and creating a whole bunch of coaching and employment alternatives in partnership with the Worldwide Brotherhood of Electrical Employees (IBEW).
Immediately’s announcement additionally contains a number of initiatives anchored by inter-regional collaboration that may increase transmission throughout a number of states. Examples embrace:
- Joint Focused Interconnection Queue Transmission Examine Course of and Portfolio (JTIQ) (Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, Minnesota, Missouri, and South Dakota) This venture will coordinate the great planning, design, and development of 5 transmission initiatives throughout seven Midwest states. The JTIQ Course of replaces the standard interconnection research strategy with a coordinated, long-range, interregional evaluation that research a number of initiatives without delay, moderately than in sequential or uncoordinated timelines, leading to scalable transmission options, new renewable technology, decrease vitality prices, and enhanced neighborhood engagement and workforce improvement.
- Wildfire Evaluation and Resilience for Networks (WARN) (Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming) – Holy Cross Vitality, together with NRECA Analysis, will launch a wildfire mitigation venture with a consortium of 39 small, rural, not-for-profit electrical co-ops in high-threat areas. The venture will allow members to harden their networks by deploying fire-resistant grid infrastructure, undergrounding strains, or upgrading overhead strains to cut back danger of catastrophic wildfires and to extend wildfire resilience. Greater than 75% of the concerned venture cooperatives are also prepared to signal commitments to advance high-quality jobs and native hiring, reduce environmental affect, and/or allocate advantages to deprived communities. Impacted communities could have alternatives to offer suggestions on the cooperative’s grid improve plan, and the venture is dedicated to prioritizing contracts that advance good-paying jobs.
Earlier this yr, DOE introduced $95 million in federal funds from this system to harden the vitality grids in Hawaii and allow them to raised stand up to extreme weather-related occasions fueled by local weather change.
Study extra in regards to the GRIP initiatives chosen for award negotiations right here.
GDO will maintain an informational webinar on October 24 at 2:30 p.m. ET. Registration is required, register right here.
Choice for award negotiations will not be a dedication by DOE to situation an award or present funding. Earlier than funding is issued, DOE and the candidates will bear a negotiation course of, and DOE could cancel negotiations and rescind the choice for any purpose throughout that point.
The GRIP funds introduced as we speak are complemented by DOE’s Grid Resilience State and Tribal Formulation Grant Program, which is awarding billions in non-competitive funding from President Biden’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Regulation to states, territories, and Tribal entities to additional strengthen and modernize the vitality towards excessive climate and pure disasters. In whole, the Bipartisan Infrastructure Regulation invests over $20 billion to improve America’s energy grid.
Courtesy of Vitality.gov.
Have a tip for CleanTechnica? Need to promote? Need to counsel a visitor for our CleanTech Discuss podcast? Contact us right here.
EV Obsession Each day!
I do not like paywalls. You do not like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Right here at CleanTechnica, we carried out a restricted paywall for some time, nevertheless it all the time felt mistaken — and it was all the time powerful to determine what we must always put behind there. In principle, your most unique and greatest content material goes behind a paywall. However then fewer folks learn it!! So, we have determined to utterly nix paywalls right here at CleanTechnica. However…
Tesla Gross sales in 2023, 2024, and 2030
CleanTechnica makes use of affiliate hyperlinks. See our coverage right here.